Saturday 23 May 2015

A Week on Twitter #engchatNZ and #edchatNZ

This week Twitter has really taken off for me! +Sonya Van Schaijik has continually been on at me about the power of this tool and reluctantly I have become a convert!

This week I participated in both #engchatnz and #edchatnz - both fascinating and gave me a total buzz! It is like a hit of adrenaline - partly from trying to keep up and partly from collaborating with such amazing names in NZ education! (I would tag you all but there are simply too many!)

#engchatNZ was hosted by the lovely and inspiring +ariaporo22 (Alex Le Long).  The topic was #growthmindset and throughout the chat a trend was definitely apparent.  I found it ironic that all of the people involved in the chat would be the type to have already adopted or at least realised the importance of having a growth mindset as a NZ educator.  Yet, the trend was largely about why having a growth mindset is important and sharing ideas of what this 'jargon' term means.

The storify of this chat is available at
Also, as part of the chat, Alex shared a great collaborative document of Growth Mindset Media Tools which I have added many videos which have helped me understand the importance of this mindset.  They also motivate me to carry on finding professional development which targets and interests me.  These two videos in particular stood out to me (the Kid President one was a hit with my class)




On Thursday night, #edchatNZ took place and this weeks topic was about MLE vs MLP. Hosted by +MissDtheTeacher (Danielle Myburgh).

 Again, a powerful way of highlighting my own views on the importance of the pedagogy that goes along with 'Modern Learning Environments'.  It isn't enough to chuck some colourful beanbags into a classroom along with a few wobbly chairs and varying tables of different sizes and colours.  If the pedagogy and mindset of the teacher doesn't change then the learning will remain the same as it always has.  Teachers influence students in such a profound way and the pedagogy behind their teaching will directly impact on the type of thinker, learner and future leader each student will be! 

I truly believe that teachers who are set in their ways and are not willing to change, have no place in the classroom anymore.  In saying this, I personally do not think that expecting teachers to keep their thinking and pedagogy current and up-to-date is a big ask or requirement.  If teachers are not willing to change and continue their own learning then what kind of role model are they being for their students?  And are such teacher meeting the Registered Teacher Criteria? It becomes detrimental for children who remain in backwards or standstill thinking classrooms.  

This is an area I am passionate about and really feel should be embraced and developed by all NZ Schools - Drop the E on MLE, it goes beyond that!

More to come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment